Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Where did the ibis go?

On Friday September 8th I was looking out my window watching a flock of ibis pecking away at the ground outside my front door as they were feasting on worms and bugs. Hardly a day goes by without seeing ibis banqueting outside my house. I thought to myself, “You poor dumb creatures have no idea what is in store for you in a few short hours!” Earlier that morning, Allegiant Airlines sent me a text message which said that my flight to Missouri had been canceled. Hurricane Irma was barreling toward Florida and I had to quickly shift into disaster preparation mode. But those poor dumb birds were contentedly dining on fine-fowl cuisine and were totally oblivious to the impending disaster. The following day the ibis were gone. Not a single hide, hair nor ibis feather was to be seen. Legend has it that the ibis are the last creatures to leave before a hurricane hits and the first to return following the devastation. I’ve asked the old timers around here, “where do the ibis go when a storm is approaching?” No one seems to know. But somehow, God gave them enough sense to get out of harm’s way.

Jesus said, “Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? (Mt. 6:26)”

God took care of the ibis when Irma hit, and He also protected us here at NTM Homes from the wrath of the storm. There was hardly any property damage here. We were without power for 3 days, but that was more of an inconvenience than anything else. And I was able to get a flight to Missouri the following Friday so that I could help out with the Culture-Language Acquisition course there. I was gone 5 weeks and had a great time with my friends in the area and with my co-workers there at the Missionary Training Center.

At this Thanksgiving season, I have much to be thankful for!

A year ago, I announced that I would be retiring and moving to Florida. I really was not sure what to expect. I know that many missionaries lost a significant amount of their support when they retired. My plans were to delay taking Social Security until January 2018. Knowing that the cost of living in Florida is higher than Missouri was a concern. Yet for me personally, my support level has stayed roughly the same as it has been the last few years. The continued financial support from my ministry partners for 2017 has been a huge blessing.

The old hymn tells us to “count our blessings.” As we reflect upon God’s mercies and bounties toward us at this season of Thanksgiving, I am praising Him for all who have touched my life with their prayers as well as through their financial support.

In Christ,

Bob

* * *

Where Are the Nine?

 

Wand’ring afar from the dwellings of men,

Hear the sad cry of the lepers, the ten;

“Jesus have mercy!” brings healing divine,

One came to worship, but where are the nine?

 

Loudly the stranger sang praise to the Lord,

Knowing the cure had been wrought by His word,

Gratefully owning the Healer divine;

Jesus says tenderly, “Where are the nine?”

 

Where are the nine? Where are the nine?

Were there not ten cleansed?

Where are the nine?

 

 

 

The Remorse of Nine Ungrateful Lepers

 

I meant to go back, but you may guess

I was filled with amazement, I cannot express

To think that after those horrible years,

That passion of loathing and passion of fears,

Of sores unendurable—eaten, defiled—

My flesh was as smooth as the flesh of a child.

I was drunken with joy; I was crazy with glee;

I scarcely could walk and I scarcely could see,

For the dazzle of sunshine where all had been black;

But I meant to go back, Oh, I meant to go back!

I had thought to return, when people came out;

There were tears of rejoicing and laughter and shout;

My cup was so full I seemed nothing to lack!

But I meant to go back, Oh, I meant to go back!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment