Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Retirement or Change of Ministry?

Many retired folks tell me that their lives are busier now than when they were working. Well, I guess I will find out. After teaching for 33 years at the New Tribes Missionary Training Center, I plan on retiring. My official status with NTM will be “retired” at the end of 2016. But whoever “really” retires?

Actually, there are a number of ministry opportunities available to me as I enter into this new phase a life. Last month I mentioned a few opportunities in the area of research and writing for both New Tribes Mission and Bold Grace Ministries. Recently I have been talking to an NTM co-worker who trains pastors in Africa. There is a possibility that I could be involved in writing Bible curriculum for him. Another ministry opportunity is working with the Information Technology folks at the NTM retirement center. We have retired missionaries down there who continue to work on projects such as Bible translation. There is always a need for someone who has computer skills which is right up my alley. I also plan on continuing my involvement with the NTM Missionary Training Center in Missouri. I often consult with folks here regarding course related issues. For instance, I setup our current grading system in Quick Schools. Just yesterday, I helped one of our staff members with his Quick Schools gradebook. The sign on my door in Florida will probably read: Bob’s Computer Help Desk. There is also a need here at the Missionary Training Center for someone to play the role of a native from Papua New Guinea for our Culture-Language Acquisition course. The tentative plan is for me to fly back to Missouri next fall for 2 months in order to fill that need.

New Tribes Mission’s retirement center is located in Florida near the NTM headquarters. I will be moving there in January 2017. The apartments at the retirement center are duplexes. I will be living next to Bob and Marilyn Meisel who worked many years in the Philippines. I met Bob a number of years ago when he was visiting our training center here in Missouri. We hit it off immediately. Bob plays a number of stringed instruments including guitar and mandolin. He borrowed one of my guitars and we had a great time playing gospel/bluegrass music together.

When I found out what apartment that I would be living in, I wondered if I would know anyone on my block. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I found out the my gospel/bluegrass buddy would be my next door neighbor! I immediately gave Bob a call and said, “Guess who is going to be living next to you.” I could not have planned that any better.

My new address as of January 2017 will be:

Bob Nyberg

608 Mexico Ct.

Sanford, FL 32771

My current plan is to begin taking social security in 2018. So even though I will be “retiring” in 2017, I hope to meet my monthly expenses for this next year through donations from my current supporters. But I also know that might not be realistic. The cost of living for me in Florida will be more than what it is here. And the fact is that when a missionary retires they often lose part of their support base.

Prayer Requests:

·         Saying goodbye to friends and coworkers in Missouri.

·         The logistics of getting my stuff to Florida.

·         Transitioning into a new home, ministry and climate down south.

·         Sufficient support to meet my needs for 2017.

I appreciate your prayers on my behalf!

Bob

* * *

Imputed Righteousness
by Lance Latham

There is simply no possibility whatsoever that a person can achieve standing before God on the basis of his own defaced, despicable righteousness. A Christian, therefore, is not merely one who has been through the emotion of a moment, or who has newly purposed or has newly promised. Rather, a Christian has abandoned all hope of his own personal moral credentials and receives as his sole and complete basis for standing before God the finished and complete righteousness which Jesus Christ purchased on Calvary's cross and imputed to him. To “impute” means to “ascribe,” to “put to one's account.” Personal righteousness does not save us; imputed righteousness alone satisfies divine holiness and makes the sinner acceptable before God.

 

7 comments:

  1. Happy retirement, Bob! God has surely gone before you to FL.
    Your imputed righteousness piece is right on! Would that all Christ followers embrace His grace to us; legalism is not salvation or Christian walk.
    May you enjoy all that God is bringing your way, Bob.
    Rosalee (Jones) Lindner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. Lance Latham was a great author and I have learned a lot from him. I kind of smile because my new apartment in Florida is about 100 yards from Lake Latham which was named in honor of Lance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God will use you no matter where you go, Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging note. I'm sure that He will do just that. But it is always nice to hear others reminding me of His faithfulness.

      Delete
  4. Un abrazo from SA, Bob. Glad for you!
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kinosi! Exciting plans for sure. Maybe a trip to Alaska?

    ReplyDelete