Thursday, May 12, 2016

Sitting with Job's Comforters

I was going through the book of Job and something popped out at me.

Job’s so called comforters, probably thought that they were the Theologians who had all their ducks in a row and were doing their utmost to defend the integrity of God.

After all the dialogue is over, God confronts Job.

At that point I wondered if Job’s comforters actually witnessed what God said to Job. Let’s say that they did, for the sake of argument. I could see them cheering on the sidelines as God takes Job to the woodshed. They might be shouting, “That’s right God! Give it to him good! We were right and he was wrong!!!”

And then we read:

Job 42:7  And so it was, after the LORD had spoken these words to Job, that the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, "My wrath is aroused against you and your two friends, for you have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has.

I could just see their collective jaws drop at that point! They were probably thinking, “Wait a minute! What?! We were just trying to defend You, God! We are the conservatives who are doctrinally correct!”

Sooooooooooo, I wonder how many times I have blasted someone else out of the water thinking that I am the one who has all his theological ducks in a row!!!




If they assign rows in heaven based upon theological smugness (or lack thereof), I just hope I don’t have to sit in the same row as Job’s comforters!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment