Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Using New Tools Without Losing the Old Truths

One of the questions I hear more and more these days is, “What do you think about AI?” Since it has become part of my daily life and ministry, I thought I would share a few thoughts.

Over the past year, I have found AI to be a valuable assistant in sermon research, lesson preparation, PowerPoint development, writing projects, and various administrative tasks. It can quickly organize information, summarize large amounts of material, suggest illustrations, and help improve the clarity of my writing. In many ways, it functions like a research assistant sitting at my desk.

However, AI is only a tool. Like any tool, it must be used wisely.

There is an old computer saying: GIGO, “Garbage In, Garbage Out.” The quality of an AI’s response often depends on the quality of the instructions it receives. Learning how to communicate effectively with AI is called prompting. Clear, specific instructions usually produce more useful results.

Because of my theological background, I wanted AI to better understand the perspective from which I approach Scripture. In a project I jokingly call “How I Trained My AI,” I developed a custom prompt that guides AI to function as a biblical research assistant from a Traditional Free Grace and Normative Dispensational perspective.

The prompt directs the AI to prioritize Scripture, distinguish carefully between competing theological viewpoints, and present information from the doctrinal framework I hold. It has become a helpful starting point for research and study. Notice that I said starting point.

One important lesson I have learned is: Trust, but verify. AI can make mistakes. It may occasionally misquote sources, confuse facts, or present inaccurate information with great confidence. For that reason, I never treat AI as an authority. God’s Word remains the authority. AI simply helps me work more efficiently.

As with any technology, the key is discernment. New tools can be useful servants, but they must never replace careful Bible study, prayer, and dependence upon the Lord.

Blessings,

Bob

* * *

Mercy Versus Grace

When a condemned criminal receives a reduced sentence, we say that the judge has shown him mercy. Imprisonment rather than death is an act of mercy. Grace is better than that. It acquits the guilty sinner, imputes righteousness to him, and silences the law’s condemning voice.

–William MacDonald

 

No comments:

Post a Comment