Monday, September 2, 2024

Fall Gardening in Central Florida

As the summer heat begins to decrease, it’s time to start my fall garden. Here in Central Florida, the unique climate allows us to enjoy gardening almost year-round.

I’ve already started my seedlings, with some growing indoors under grow lights and others thriving outside. This fall, I’m focusing on growing peppers and tomatoes, which have always been staples in my garden. Additionally, I’m planting a few varieties of basil and other herbs to add fresh flavors to my cooking.

In the spirit of trying something new, I’ve decided to experiment with Mexican Sour Gherkins also known as Cucamelons. They look like miniature watermelons and have a refreshing cucumber-like flavor with a hint of citrus tang. I think they would be great for pickling. I am also trying West Indies Burr Gherkins. Both plants are vigorous climbers with long vines. They are highly resistant to pests and diseases, making them ideal for hot, humid climates. They promise to add an interesting twist to my garden and, hopefully, to my kitchen as well.

One of the methods I find particularly effective is using grow bags. They offer excellent drainage and are easy to move around, which is especially useful in our unpredictable weather. If a hurricane threatens, I can bring some of my plants into the lanai for protection, though I can’t bring them all inside.

Before planting, it’s essential to prepare the garden. I have been amending the soil with compost from my composter and have added other nutrients to ensure the plants have a healthy start. I have a drip irrigation system so that I don’t have to stand outside swatting mosquitoes while I water my plants.

Gardening in Central Florida comes with its own set of challenges and rewards. We need to keep an eye on the forecast, especially during hurricane season. We need to be vigilant about pests and diseases, which can be more prevalent in our warm climate.

Gardening is not just a solitary activity; it’s a wonderful way to connect with neighbors and friends. In our retirement community, we often share produce and gardening tips. It’s a joy to see how everyone’s gardens are flourishing and to exchange ideas and experiences.

As we move into the fall, I look forward to seeing how our gardens grow. Gardening is a journey filled with learning and surprises, and I’m excited to see what this season brings.

Because of Calvary,

Bob

* * *

Fruit ripens slowly; days of sunshine and days of storm each add their share. Blessing will succeed blessing, and storm follow storm before the fruit is full grown or comes to maturity.

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ" (Phil. 1:6).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment